Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Personalized Bath Towels

Five kids sharing one bathroom means, desperate need for organization! I had been using a color towel system (see here) that was working great, but I wanted something a little more personal and fun. Here is what I came up with. I am just loving how the towels turned out. I also love that my kids are enjoying hanging up their own towels and no one is left guessing whose towel is whose.

 Here is a quick tutorial of what I did. If you are left with questions, please message me, or email me and I will do my best to clarify.
The first thing you want to do is locate your tag. It will need to be on the bottom and the back. Lay your towel down and measure the top part of your towel. My towels had a clear band of stitching, at the top. Just above that, I measured the width and length. I then measured that same width and length for my fabric adding extra for a 1/4inch seam all the way around.
Notice just bellow my fabric is the stitching on the towel. I wanted to place my fabric directly above the stitching.
I first pinned and ironed my seam. I did a 1/4inch seam all the way around my fabric. Then I pinned my fabric to my towel.
 Using a straight stitch, I sewed the fabric onto the towel.
Now time for the monogram! I used my word processor to print out the font I wanted for my monogram. It is best to use a bold font.
I used liquid stitch to hold the fabric monogram in place on the towel. I then used an applique stitch on my sewing machine and sewed the monogram onto the towel.
I chose to place my monogram at the opposite, top corner of my towel. That way when the towel wraps around the monogram shows. 









 Because towels need to hang up to dry, I decided they NEEDED an easy hang loop! Here is a quick how I did it picture. 
The loop once pinned on (to the backside of the towel) should measure about 4". I folded my towel in half to find the exact center and pinned it on there. Using a straight stitch I sewed back and forth a few times just to reinforce the loop, since it will be holding the weight of the towel.
Are they not just lovely? It really is a simple project for a great result! Hope you have fun personalizing your towels!






Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Carrie, I just pinned this! i love this idea! We now have 5 children (#5 is only a week old, but that counts!) and a few years ago my brother-in-law and his wife made us his funky and fun towel holder, with 6 hand-made pottery knobs on which to hang the towels. This would be awesome, as those fat towels don't always want to stay on the odd-shaped knobs.
    Thank you for the clear tytorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally congratulations on your new baby! Five is great fun! I know you are just going to love how easy these loops make hanging up a towel... especially on odd shaped knobs! Thank you for pinning!

      Delete
  2. Love love love these!!! Awesome tutorial!! As soon as my little ones start using towels vs hoodie terry robes you can bet I will be trying to make these.
    Love you!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! These organisational tips on personalised towels are life savers. Mums can go on finishing their tasks at home with the help of these ideas. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone should have personalized towels, especially the kids, because they would love to have their own towel with their name on it. The towels that you made are really awesome! They even have a hang loop so it won't lay around the house. A great gift idea if you want something handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say, this blog is what got me through the day today.
    Every time I read it, I just get more and more excited about whats next.
    Very refreshing blog and very refreshing ideas.
    Im glad that I came across this when I did.
    I love what youve got to say and the way you say it.

    ReplyDelete